If you’ve read the first blog of our new series, you know that we are spending a little time discussing how to choose a reputable roofing contractor with you this month. Here at Professional Roofers we believe that information is king, and with a little know-how and gusto we would like to help you choose the right company for you, even if it turns out that it’s not us in the end. We know that we provide a superior service for a superior price and we are confident that we stand up to the most rigorous testing on our product – can the other companies you are interested in say the same?
One of the most important ways you can decide whether a roofing company is right for you is through your initial interview of them. This is a period of time where you ask the company a series of questions you have prepared so that you can judge their operating practices and whether they are right for you. Be prepared to do some research to ensure you know exactly what you’re looking for, and the answers you are willing to accept. We’ve prepared a list of important questions you might want to ask any prospective roofing company that you’re considering hiring.
- What is your full company name and physical address? Read our first blog on this topic for a little more information, but if the company doesn’t have a physical address this can be a very bad sign. Run!
- What are your qualifications and can you provide me with evidence of them? Your roofer should be licensed with the municipality and should be able to provide you with proof. Additionally, you can ask how many years they have been in the trade and whether they have experience with similar projects.
- Do you use subcontractors? If your roofer does use subcontractors, you want to ask all these questions for that company as well to ensure they are just as reputable.
- Can I visit a current project? If you really want to know how a company conducts their business, the best place is right on the job site.
- Do you have workers compensation insurance AND business liability insurance? Don’t let any contractor step foot on your property without these items. It’s not worth the risk or potential payout!
- Can you provide me with a written contract and warranty? This is pretty self-explanatory – you want any promises the company makes to be in writing, and make sure you read the fine print!
- Do you have any references? Each company should be able to provide you with a list of at least three past clients as references.
- Do you have any additional suggestions? Ask your roofer for any additional suggestions they may have for your project and you might get the best bang for your buck.
- What is your estimate? Your roofer should be able to provide you with a rough estimate of costs, and the timeframe you can expect it to start and finish.
There are many other questions you can add to this list, depending on how extensively you want to interview your potential roofers, but we at Professional Roofers believe this is a good starter list that covers the most important points you will want to take into account. If the contractor doesn’t seem responsive to your questions or acts evasively you might want to look elsewhere. In the end, you need to choose a company that you believe you can work with who you can trust to meet your needs.